2nd International STCS Conference
ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF MODERN CHINA
organized by the Department of Asian and African Studies, University of Ljubljana (Slovenia)
DATE: October 14-17, 2011
VENUE: University of Ljubljana (Slovenia)
Deadline for submissions: April 30, 2011
Notification of acceptance: May 30, 2011
2011 will be marked by the 100th anniversary of the Xinhai Revolution that commenced with the Wuchang Uprising on October 10, 1911 and ended with the abdication of Emperor Puyi on February 12, 1912 and establishment of the first Chinese republic. The centennial is not only relevant in terms of state ideology, but also plays a significant role within that scientific and academic research the subject of which is Chinese society and culture. October 10, 1911 signifies much more than just the establishment of a new state formation which, with its explosive economic and political progress, developed into one of the most unique countries in the world. It likewise represents the symbolic and concrete linkage between the tradition and modernity, progress and conservatism, traditional values and the demands for adjustment to the paradigms of contemporary societies.
In order to commemorate the centennial, the 2nd International STCS Conference is dedicated to modern and contemporary China. It focuses on the 100 years following the Xinhai Revolution.
Conference programme - pdf
We are pleased to invite proposals for panels, round table discussions, and individual papers for the 2nd International STCS conference, organized by the Department of Asian and African Studies at the University of Ljubljana. We accept submissions from different disciplines within Chinese studies and dealing with one of the following issues:
- recent research in the problems of Chinese tradition and modernity, including (but not limited to) history, literature, philosophy, religion, art history, cinema and media studies, anthropology, sociology, gender studies, economy, politics, environmental issues etc;
- critical academic reflection on the first intercultural dialogues between China and European countries;
- political, ideological, cultural, and axiological evaluation of Chinese development within the last 100 years;
- traditional elements in modern Chinese discourses;
- (re)interpretations of specific structures and functional models of modern and contemporary Chinese society, offering new modes of comprehension of historical, cultural, political and economic changes in modern Chinese society;
- relevant Chinese impacts upon economic, political and cultural tendencies in today's globalized world;
- new historical approaches in the study and research of Chinese modernity;
Proposals (including the author's full name, academic qualification, institutional affiliation, position, contact information – address, telephone number, e-mail, and a short abstract of no more than 250 words) should be sent to jana [dot] rosker [at] guest [dot] arnes [dot] si or natasavampelj [at] yahoo [dot] com before April 30, 2011. Scholars who have submitted their proposals by this deadline will be notified of their inclusion in to the conference before May 30, 2011. The languages in which the STCS conference will take place will be English and Chinese.
The organizers of the conference will publish a selection of the conference papers in an edited volume and/or a special issue journal. The conference fee which includes support for obtaining visas, materials for the conference, and coffee break refreshments is 35 Euros. This fee is to be paid on the day of registration, i.e. on the 1st day of the conference. Accommodation is possible in hotels or hostels near the city center (a list of the hotels will be provided).
Any further questions are welcome. Please write to jana [dot] rosker [at] guest [dot] arnes [dot] si or natasavampelj [at] yahoo [dot] com
Prof. Dr. Jana Rošker
Assist. Prof. Dr. Nataša Vampelj Suhadolnik
Postal address: Department of Asian and African Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, Askerceva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Tel.: + 386 1 241 1444 + 386 1 241 1448
E-mail: jana [dot] rosker [at] guest [dot] arnes [dot] si or natasavampelj [at] yahoo [dot] com
A selection of the conference papers in an edited volume and/or a special issue jorunal will be published (please see submission guidelines).
Deadline for submission is Feb 28, 2012.